Monday, 8 December 2014

DIY Christmas Snow Globe

A bit of a different blog post from me today, it is Christmas themed but here we have a DIY! (I mean you probably guessed that by the title.)

I saw this project on a YouTube video and instantly thought I had to do it because my mum has always loved snow globes. The figurine inside the snow globe is actually a cake topper, of The Snowman, I went on a search to find this small figure because again my mum has always loved The Snowman and this was being made specifically for her!

What you'll need:

  • A jar, (possibly a jam one or one from around your house!)
  • Superglue (waterproof of course)
  • Water
  • Glycerin. I got mine from Boots - HERE
  • Glitter flakes. I got mine from eBay - HERE
  • A figurine, one that won't dissolve in water of course! I got mine from Amazon - HERE
The Steps:

First:

You need to superglue your chosen figurine to the lid or bottom of your jar. After gluing leave for a day and a night to fully set.

Second:

Add in cold water to your jar, not to the top just yet, and add in a dash of glycerin, I would say pouring for 1-2 seconds. Adding in this glycerin will make the snow in your globe fall slower. By this point, or before adding in your glycerin it may be a good idea to swirl, tip or generally move your snow globe around just to ensure your figurine is completely stuck to your jar.

Third:

Add in your glitter flakes/snow flakes. Add in the glitter so there is a layer on top of your water mixture. You can add more at the end if there isn't enough anyway.

Fourth:

Stir the mixture. And add anymore water, glitter flakes and glycerin to fill your jar, however do keep in mind that even the tiny figurines can displace water so do be careful of that!

Fifth:

Enjoy the festive decoration that is your new, homemade snow globe!









I hope you enjoyed this festive DIY and give it a go yourself!

Love El
xxx
SHARE:

26 comments

  1. This is a great post with very orignial idea. well done, have a nice day

    new post on my blog

    http://www.fashionculturediary.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh this is SO cute, I really want to make one xx

    Gemma // Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really happy with how it came out! You should give it a go :)

      Delete
  3. I'm going to make one of these for my little cousin, she would love it! It doesn't look too fiddly either but still so cute! Thanks for the inspiration. Have a great week :)

    Hayley-Eszti // www.hayleyeszti.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah fantastic idea! That's why I originally did it because the steps are so simple :) thank you! And you :)

      Delete
  4. This is such a cute idea ^-^ When i find the time i'm gonna try and make one.
    <3
    perfectfixations.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was too :) ah awesome!

      Delete
  5. Oh God, the mess I would make trying to attempt this. Not that has put me off...and you're kind of a genius for this haha.

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha as long on you don't superglue your fingers together mess doesn't matter! Ahaha thank you!!

      Delete
  6. What a cute idea!! I've always wanted to make one of these x

    Angela | The Sunday Chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what I thought when I watched the YouTube video :) they look really good! X

      Delete
  7. I love this idea!
    Lovely post! c: x

    http://liliummind.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog! I've been reading through your posts and they're all amazing. I especially love this DIY decoration. It looks cute, yet simple enough to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah wow thank you so much! :) Thats what I thought about this DIY because the steps are nice and easy!

      Delete
  9. This is so creative and cute! I love the little snowman you've put in your snow globe! I'd love to have atry at this :) x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is cute isn't it! Ah thank you, he's so cute in real life! You must it wasn't difficult :) xx

      Delete
  10. thats such a cute gift to give

    check out todays blogmas post
    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admire someone who can DIY, i can not, oh shame on me. yours is very special cute. love it

    new post on my blog

    http://www.fashionculturediary.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks adorable, such a cute idea! x

    I've got a mac lipstick giveaway on my blog if you want to take a look :)

    http://rachelcoco.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the idea when I first heard it too! x

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig